BRGM, a great prospector
In the 1970s and the following decade, the prospection strategy was largely focused on base metals, of which the BRGM discovered extensive deposits.
Over the years, BRGM has discovered many deposits around the world, in particular:
- lead and zinc at Bougrine, Tunisia,
- copper, lead, zinc and silver at Hajar, Morocco,
- copper and silver at Dikulushi, Democratic Republic of the Congo,
- zinc at Grevet, Canada,
- copper and zinc in Peru and Saudi Arabia,
- copper at Jabal Sayid,
- lead, zinc and silver rediscovered by BRGM teams at Jabali, Yemen,
- copper, zinc and tin at Neves Corvo in Portugal,
- gold at Yanacocha in Peru,
- titanium at Akoloninga in Cameroon,
- the Mabounié carbonatite in Gabon,
- niobium and phosphate at Kribi, Cameroon
- iron at Kribi, Cameroon and in the Nimba mountains in Guinea-Liberia.
These explorations have made BRGM one of the most successful mining research organisations in the world.